Day 1: About Being Smooth
Your child is learning how to:
- Paddle Board
- How to hold the paddle.
- How to get on and off the board
- Where to stand on the board (or sit)
- Wide base, bent knees, hand on top
- How to stop, turn left and right
- Best ways to balance
- What to do if they fall off
- Safely enter and exit the kayak using their paddle as a bridge.
- Have a soft grip on the paddle.
- Push more with their upper paddling hand than they pull with their lower hand.
- Rotate their chest, without moving their head, as they drive the boat through the water.
- Let their shoulder shrug at the end of the stroke as they take the paddle out of the water.
- Keep their upper hand chin height on the drive, rather than above their head.
- Help rig the sailboat before leaving the dock.
- Sort out the sheets (lines) for easy maneuvering when under way.
- Position the boat into the wind as they push off the dock.
- Turn the boat into the wind (tack), with smooth fluid tiller movements.
- Instruct their boat mates about when they are preparing to turn.
- Also turn the boat away from the wind (jibe) without snapping the sails too much.
- Learn how to pick a target on land to steer toward (dead reckon).
- Keep their eyes constantly moving in all directions for oncoming boats.