Day 3: About Rhythm
Your child is learning how to:
- Paddle Board
- How to hold the paddle.
- How to get on and off the board
- Where to stand on the board (or sit)
- Wide base, bent knees, hand on top
- How to stop, turn left and right
- Best ways to balance
- What to do if they fall off
- Make a slight pause at the end of the stroke to improve glide before the next stroke.
- Rotate the entire torso toward the paddle as it glides through the water.
- Establish a stroke rhythm that can be sustained over the entire distance.
- In crossing winds use steering strokes that maintain help rhythm.
- When giving turning commands to boat mates, give enough lead-time so they can help.
- When skipper yells, “helms a lee” to turn the boat, release the jib as sheet tension softens.
- After completing the turn, draw in the sheets to help maximize efficiency and stability.
- In jibing, retract the boom prior to the jibe to minimize any mast damage.