Day 4: About Being Powerful
Your child is learning how to:
- Paddle Board
- How to hold the paddle.
- How to get on and off the board
- Where to stand on the board (or sit)
- Wide base, bent knees, hand on top
- How to stop, turn left and right
- Best ways to balance
- What to do if they fall off
- Sit up very tall, with a braced back as the paddle enters the water.
- Have your paddle blade enter the water the same speed as water is rushing by the boat.
- Position your hands at least 1.5 times the width of your shoulders apart on the stroke.
- Have your paddle enter the water at least as fast as the water is rushing under the boat.
- Emphasize pushing with the upper paddling arm over pulling with the lower paddle arm.
- On the stroke, rotate from the pelvis at least 45 degrees.
- Keep the hull speed up as you enter an upwind or downwind turn.
- Refrain from letting the boat get in irons where the jib cannot help generate hull speed.
- Feel the best combination of course setting and sail trimming to maximize hull speed.